For those of you who have taken surf lessons with Dave, you will know that his passion and love for the sport is strong! We wanted to give you some background as to how he got into surfing, why he loves it and how it benefits his life.
1) How did you first start surfing?
A friend was reading a Surfer’s Path magazine and there was a section about surfing in Ireland, and an exclusive section about Donegal bay. That sparked an immediate interest about surfing and Irish waves, but I didn’t think it was a practical interest considering I lived in the midlands
2) Do you remember how it felt at the beginning when you started learning to surf?
Luckily I took to it fairly quickly, and I was pretty much obsessed after the first time I tried. My friend Rob showed me the basics and then I had a formal lesson in Bundoran, which was really helpful to get an idea about good technique from the beginning.
3) What kept you coming back, and kept you motivated to keep practicing?
The sheer obsession!
4) In your life now what does surfing offer you? (Mentally, physically, etc.)
I’m always looking forward to the next session, so mentally it always has a very positive effect. Physically it is one of the best all-round forms of exercise you can do – you get strong, cardio fitness, coordination and endurance.
5) What is the best thing that surfing has given you?
It never makes me think twice about getting out of bed at 5am in the freezing cold!
6) What would you say to beginners or those wanting to take up surfing?
If you put the time in, you will reap the rewards.
7) What have you learned from teaching others to surf?
Like in any sport there can be instant natural talent, but I have also seen that persistence can outweigh that.
8) Something that people think about surfing, that may not be accurate/true?
That we’re all surf-bums!
9) What is your favorite wave in Ireland and around the world?
In Ireland my favorite wave is Enniscrone point, and around the world it is Cloudbreak in Fiji.
10) If you could sum surfing up in three words – what would they be?
Honest, healthy and craic!